Technical Specialist, IT Operations
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you’re looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
IT Operations manages the IT infrastructure and supporting services that are critical for HSBC employees and customers, such as cost-efficient hardware, system software, middleware and databases, data centres, voice and data networks, ATMs, desktops and other devices.
It employs around 8,500 employees globally and comprises five functions: Client Services, Enterprise Services and Architecture, Data Centre and Service Management, Relationship Management, Project Management and PMO, and Risk and Administration. Collectively, these areas define and deliver HSBC’s technology strategy to support the Group’s goals.
As an HSBC employee in the UK, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities and a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for all UK-based employees, enhanced maternity and adoption pay and support when you return to work, and a contributory pension scheme with a generous employer contribution.
We are currently seeking an experienced individual to join this team in the role of Technical Specialist.
In this role, you will:
- Provide Enterprise Services, including platform services (mainframes, UNIX and Linux servers, iSeries (Mid-range), Windows and storage) for securely storing/analysing data as well as Developer Services which enable faster delivery of highly standardised platform services, for example, Virtualisation, ALM, Dev Engineering, GSDE, and Cloud.
- • Setup automation Team(s) to take out waste
- • Consolidate and reduce infrastructure complexity
- • Develop Cloud based infrastructure platforms and deliver infrastructure, platform etc. “as a Service” by working with Business & other DevOps teams
- • Determine the strategic direction and execute in each of the Technology areas under Enterprise Services responsibility
- • Risk and Cost Management
- • Ensure Service Quality Targets are met for offered platform services
- • Business stakeholder management to define product roadmaps and market available capabilities
- • Write development code, understand a DevOps Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipeline, and build automated test scripts (for infrastructure products and upgrades), and build automation interfaces between systems
To be successful in this role you should meet the following requirements:
- Significant Oracle database technical skills, including practical experience of administering and troubleshooting complex environments such as RAC, ASM & Dataguard
- Expertise in diagnosing and resolving technical issues in a production environment
- Experience of participating in crisis calls and providing timely updates to management
- Experience of raising and progressing Service Requests with the Oracle vendor
- Strong communication & influencing skills
The base location for this role is Barnsley.
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
At HSBC we look to enable our employees to better balance their work / life priorities and have the flexibility required to meet challenging needs as they progress through different life stages. Where possible we will consider the following flexible working options: part-time working, job sharing, term-time working, and working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with HSBC you have a need for some flexibility in your working arrangements please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment.
Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.