Please note this position is based at Olympic Dam, operating on a 5/2 roster, with residential or FIFO options available.
About the role As part of the Planning & Technical Team, the Superintendent Geology supports the Manager Geosciences, by coordinating the activities of Mine Geology and Core Processing to deliver geological services that assist the Olympic Dam Operation to safely and reliably identify and optimise value from the Olympic Dam resource. This includes safety field leadership, mentoring and developing direct reports, ensuring geological interpretation and documentation to a level which, as a minimum, meets customer requirements, planning of the diamond drilling plan, and timely sampling of drill core.
In this role you will:
- Ensure safety is your first priority by effectively managing risks and by displaying exemplary safety field leadership behaviour
- Lead the mine geology team to facilitate the timely and cost-effective discovery and delineation of high grade ore
- Continue the process of improving the performance and capability of the team
- Ensure that the design and execution of the large underground diamond drill plan (~180km p.a.) is both efficient and effective in weekly, monthly, annual and 5 year plans
- Report diamond drilling actuals (safety, volume, cost) on a weekly and monthly basis
- Ensure that all geological logging and mapping data is up to date and accurate
- Responsible for all geological models to be delivered on time and to the required quality for quarterly block model updates
- Manage the core processing area
- Assist with preparation of operating, capital and manning budgets and control departmental expenditure to agreed levels
- Engage and collaborate with Mining Engineers in the formulation of mine development and stope planning
- Experience as a Geology leader in the mining and minerals processing industry
- Proven ability to influence, coach and mentor others
- Ability to quickly and constructively work across operations, maintenance and project teams
- Exposure to diamond drills
- Energy and drive to demonstrate commitment to employees health and stay in their work environment
- Exposure to underground diamond drilling
- Geological modelling skills with software such as Vulcan or Datamine is highly desirable
How to applyPlease apply online before 1 May 2018
We support flexible work at BHP. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.