At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.Reporting to the Superintendent Geophysics, you will be accountable for the provision of specialist geophysical inputs to BHP Coal’s resource definition activities. You will influence business decisions across a range of scales from basin to coal face and will be responsible for the delivery of high quality geophysical inputs to mine planning, geotechnical, exploration and business development decisions. You will provide recommendations to implement fit-for-purpose potential field and electromagnetic geophysical methods and acquisition programs, data integration and interpretation across all BHP Coal operations and growth projects demonstrating value creation through the application of industry best practice and innovative techniques.
The role is part of the Planning & Technical team, working with other SMEs in Gas, Geology, Geophysics, Mineral Systems and Structural Geology to provide a step change in resource knowledge obtained from geophysical data, developing and implementing survey planning, design and interpretation workflows, processing standards and driving technological innovation in these areas.The role will be to:
- Ensure geophysical data sets are fit for purpose from regional to in situ application;
- Champion and manage continuous improvement and best practice in the discipline, through internal collaboration within BHP as well as external engagement with discipline leaders;
- Model and process potential field and electromagnetic geophysical data through application of advanced processing and modelling techniques, for purposes of generating geological models and recommendations for targeted further exploration (additional geophysics and/or drilling). (e.g. 3D potential field inversion, 2.5D potential field and electrical models, 2D and 3D IP inversion, etc.);
- Integrate geophysical data with geological and geochemical data sets to produce integrated geological maps;
- Upskill staff on understanding applications and limitations of geophysical techniques. This will involve training, development of best practice workflows, high quality reporting and communication of deliverables;
- Proactively engage with stakeholders to maintain alignment with key business objectives and priorities, and to ensure value impact of specialist geophysics is maximised;
- Collaborate with other SMEs (e.g. mineral system and structural geologists, resource engineers) to deliver integrated project outcomes that seemlessly feed into and add value to the mine planning process;
- Develop and maintain (internal and external) research and technology roadmaps, to identify projects and initiatives that will deliver maximum impact to BHP Coal operations; and
- Actively participate in execution and development of HSEC policies, procedures and standards, particularly as they apply to geophysical activities.
The role requires:
A Bachelor (B. Sc. App. or equivalent) in geophysics or higher degree is required
Minimum 10 years of relevant, hands-on, specialist experience in a multi-disciplinary environment and at scales ranging from regional basin framework studies to detailed deposit scale
Demonstrated technical leadership and experience
A motivated and energetic person with the ability to effectively communicate and influence through their technical expertise
Visible safety leadership
Extensive experience in planning and execution of geophysical
- Proficiency in processing, interpretation and evaluation of geophysical data for all common ground and airborne geophysical survey techniques
- Frequent interaction with stakeholders within Coal Geoscience and Sites, requiring the ability to engage with wide range of people
- Excellent communication skills to develop and embed best practice workflows and promote knowledge sharing
- Proficiency in use of industry common geophysical software packages to develop geological models
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.