At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.We have an exciting opportunity to broaden your career in a role that will give you exposure to all levels of the organisation. As a Specialist Finance Accounting reporting to the Manager Accounting (Coal & Olympic Dam), you will assist the Minerals Australia & Marketing Accounting & Reporting team in providing timely, accurate and meaningful information to BHP leadership and shareholders for decision-making.
In this, 12 month fixed term contractbased in our Brisbane office, you will have the opportunity to grow and develop as part of a global team, in a dynamic and rewarding work environment where:
- Inclusion and diversity is led from the top;
- Collaboration and flexibility is encouraged;
- It is safe to speak up; and
- Success is celebrated.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of an accounting team that provides exposure to multiple assets across the BHP Minerals Australia portfolio.
You will work collaboratively with your team and key stakeholders to provide support, guidance and produce results by delivering these key accountabilities:
- Preparation of external accounting submissions including statutory accounts for lodgement with ASIC, joint venture Special Purpose Accounts and Group briefing papers
- Providing ad hoc technical accounting guidance to the business partners and manage the implementation of new accounting standards with Group, Coal and Olympic Dam partners
- Assist with other joint venture related activities including ensuring compliance with contractual obligations, review of monthly joint venture reports and quarterly accounts
- Assist with leading the management of external audits for BHP reporting and JV reporting purposes
- Assist with compliance and assurance related activities including preparation of accounting treatment papers for technical issues, execution of BHP internal controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley, and supporting internal and external auditors in relation to testing procedures
You will have successfully completed an undergraduate degree in Commerce and be CA/CPA certified. Having 5 years’ experience within a “Big 4” environment as well as previous IFRS and audit experience will also set you up for success in this role.
Your career history will testify to your ability to demonstrate strong critical reasoning skills, grasp technical problems and learn complex theories and concepts. Energetic and driven, you work well under pressure bringing a high attention to detail and the consistent ability to meet multiple deadlines. Your technical strengths will be complemented by excellent communication skills.
Proactive, credible and influential, you relate well with people, communicating confidently and building strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders. As the successful candidate, you will possess the following:
- Bachelor of Commerce/Business (Accounting Major)
- CA/CPA qualified
- Strong financial accounting experience, including IFRS knowledge,
- Big four background experience is highly desirable
- Experience with SAP is an advantage
- Proficiency with MS Excel.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.