- Are you looking for a new challenge?
- Help us build exciting open source products!
- Join CSIRO Data61's team, the largest data innovation group in Australia
We are the team behind TerriaJS, the open source library that powers Australia’s NationalMap, the Australian Renewable Energy Mapping Infrastructure (AREMI), and many more. We use cutting-edge technologies to build sophisticated, elegant and user-focused web-based applications, and we make nearly all of the code we write open source.
Building on our success with TerriaJS, we are currently designing and building a new open data platform that will have real impact for the Australian government and for others around the world.
With two ambitious open source projects underway, we have an immediate need to grow the team. We are seeking a creative and adaptable full-stack software engineer to join the team, to build elegant solutions to unsolved problems, to take ownership of their area and to learn and grow to their full potential. We work in an open, collaborative environment with flexible working hours and a culture of trust and individual empowerment.
Specifically you will:
- Design and build front end and back end systems and ensure their implementation is efficient, elegant and maintainable.
- Have the ability to think creatively, prototype new ideas and see them through to production.
- Always consider the goals and comfort of users, including the software developer users of APIs.
- Work with customers to understand their needs and make sure they are met.
- Experiment with technologies, evaluate them and present the results.
- Help build our open source community by answering questions, writing documentation and presenting at conferences.
- Collaborate effectively with engineering, research, UI/UX and business teams.
- Provide technical direction, take ownership of projects, present ideas and foster creativity in others.
- Maintain high ethical and performance standards.
- Collaborate and grow with a multidisciplinary, regionally dispersed software engineering team.
Location: Eveleigh, NSW
Salary: AUD $95k - $103k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will:
- Be comfortable working with HTML, CSS and SVG.
- Have experience with Scala or Node.js on the backend.
- Have experience with one or more front-end frameworks: React, Redux, Angular, Knockout, D3, etc.
- Have knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
Our commitment to you
CSIRO’s Data61 offers an open and supportive workplace, where employee wellbeing is a top priority. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace by focusing on gender equality, support and development of women in leadership, increasing the employment of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders whilst supporting the LGBTI community and other diverse backgrounds.
CSIRO’s Data61 offers a range of flexible working opportunities, including part-time and job share arrangements, to provide you with work/life balance. We emphasise an individual’s growth and development which is supported by interacting and learning from world leading scientists and engineers, who provide the opportunity to challenge, transform and innovate new ideas.
CSIRO’s Data61 is committed to sourcing the brightest and best talent to become part of the Data61 family that contributes to creating Australia’s data driven future.
How to Apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your covering letter and resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications will remain open until filled, however we encourage you to submit your application by 29 September 2017 as we will interview suitable candidates from that date onwards - We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.