Why work for Thales?
At Thales we’re committed to caring about the whole of you. Creating an environment of trust and empowerment where your contribution is valued, where your wellbeing counts and you can manage the right work-life balance for you. We believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. We’re always open to discussing your individual needs, just let us know what works for you.
Our commitment extends through our generous benefits package; that’s why Thales were the first Engineering company in Australia to pay the superannuation guarantee on unpaid primary carer’s leave. Whether you want to work for 4 years and get paid to take the 5th off, or you just need help finding a childcare place, you’ll have our support every step of the way.
Developing your career
We’re committed to giving you opportunities to be your best. We believe in embracing the passion and potential of our people and to achieve this we offer market leading training, development and experiences, along with the opportunity to be mentored and coached by some of the smartest minds in the industry. We hire from within as our first priority, so you’ll have a myriad of opportunities within our diverse, global organisation.
About Thales and our opportunity
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solution of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we clarify complicated problems by combining our experience in market with our leading research and development.
The Thales Australia Maritime business offers ship repair services, maintenance and asset management / in-service support capabilities for commercial and naval ships in Australia. Our Engineering Services team is a diverse team of multi-disciplinary engineering and technically qualified professionals. With a broad focus across a range of engineering service offerings, we specialise in the support of a diverse range of Naval platforms and other commercial projects. Right on the doorstep of the largest docking facility in the southern hemisphere, you will be joining a skilled and experienced team that will see you enjoying the diverse challenges of today and contributing to the ongoing success of our Maritime operations at Thales Australia.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Naval Architect, someone wanting to be part of a team and tackling challenging projects as you utilise your proven skills and experience and deliver customer focused technical solutions. Within our unique environment, you will also get the opportunity to act as a Delegated Design Authority and pass on your skills to others as you contribute to the development of those around you as well as the ongoing success of Thales Australia.
- Utilise your naval architecture background to support diverse projects for both of Naval and commercial customers
- Manage and mentor a team.
- Hold status as a delegated Design Authority and take responsibility for the technical integrity of solutions
- Leverage your technical strengths to perform a variety of design tasks and ensure schedule adherence
- Review and approve design/maintenance changes and complete regular report writing
- Ensure maintenance schedules are supported and other ad hoc tasks are managed appropriately
- Operate with a customer focus, ensuring safe outcomes within an environment focused on quality
- Maintain a high level of communication with all relevant technical partners
- Utilise your experience to supervise, train and mentor others to develop strong team competencies
Skills and Experience
- Tertiary qualification as a Naval Architect (or similar) coupled with demonstrated experience in a similar role
- Previous experience leading and managing a team
- Proven capability with stability assessments, inclining experiments, structural finite element analysis (FEA)
- Well-developed design and drafting skills and experience in the use of CAD packages
- Proven ability to interpret technical drawings, produce reports and operate with an eye for detail
- Well-developed communication and team skills with a dedicated approach to meeting customer requirements
- You are someone who thinks safety first and has a commitment for the achievement of quality outcomes
- Those with any additional post-graduate qualifications will be viewed favourably; Certified Practicing Engineer, Project Management etc.
Special Requirements: Must be an Australian Citizen to be eligible for a Defence Security Clearance and access information covered by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.