Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
About Our Site
Garden Island is the headquarters for our Maritime business along with being a major fleet base for the Royal Australian Navy. This unique waterside located in Sydney’s inner eastern suburbs is easily accessible by public transport, with onsite parking and canteens this is an exciting place to work that is steeped in history. Our Garden Island team provide repair, maintenance and in-service support for a variety of commercial and Naval platforms. With much of the work being conducted in the Southern Hemisphere’s largest dry dock, Thales are also contracted to provide docking, reticulated services and facility maintenance across the site.
We are a seeking experienced and qualified Senior Electrical Design Engineer to join our team of highly accomplished Maritime team. You will be involved in works across Naval Platforms for Defence and commercial projects based out of Garden Island, Sydney.
Provide Electrical Design and Engineering Support as part of a very proactive, dynamic and professional team.
- Degree qualified in Electrical Engineering (eligible for Chartered Membership with Engineers Australia).
- Minimum 8 years of experience in a marine industry (defence and/or commercial).
- Proven experience in naval electrical and automation systems design.
- Experience in providing design leadership in complex tasks.
- Able to obtain and maintain Engineering Authority as a Senior Designer.
- Experience with technical shipbuilding rules and regulations (military and commercial).
- Strong background in management of design lifecycle process, systems and safety engineering.
- Sound knowledge of technical and safety requirements.
- Experience in Risk Management.
- Experience in producing Engineering Assessments, High and Low-Level Designs, Integration Documentation, Test Procedures and Reports.
- Able to provide Engineering Support during installation and commissioning.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and able to promote positive team morale and relationships based on trust and collaboration
- Ability to adapt and work as part of a multidisciplinary team or independently.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders (internal and external customers).
- Ability to deliver results in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience using engineering tools ETAP, AutoCAD Electrical, Jira, DOORS, etc. as well as MSOffice.
- Able to gain and maintain Australian Baseline Security clearance.
The position is dependent on the candidate eligibility to obtain a Defence Security Clearance. The suitable candidate needs to be ITARS cleared; therefore Thales needs to know if you hold any passport other than Australian, or have dual citizenship.
You will also need to successfully clear a pre-employment medical and police check.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!