At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success. The Principal LET will define strategy, oversee technical research, and execute the delivery of key trial and demonstration projects in key technologies that have the potential to materially improve the sustainability of BHP’s resource assets, with an emphasis on the areas of dust, tailings, and water technologies. Reporting to the Head of Low Emissions Technology, and working closely with the LET and Resource Engineering team, your key accountabilities will include:
- Identify emerging technologies from around the world that have the potential to materially improve the sustainability of BHP’s resource assets
- Develop, communicate and execute technology strategy and projects relating to water, dust, tailings, and other sustainability-related areas as required
- Determine the priority areas of technology participation and investment
- Work in collaboration and partnership with the Resource Engineering Centre of Excellence and related Strategy & Innovation teams to ensure alignment
- Provide technical subject matter expertise and business analysis/business cases for sustainable technologies as they relate to the priority areas of the portfolio
- Work with the businesses, assets and functions to accelerate the adoption and deployment of relevant technologies
To be successful in this role, you will be Degree qualified in Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy, Environmental Science, Technology or related discipline OR have the equivalent related work experience. You will have significant technical and/or research expertise (8+ years) in a related field, such as resource engineering, production/processing technologies, hydrology, etc. A PhD or advanced post-graduate qualification in a related subject will be beneficial.
You may be known as an ‘eco pragmatist’ - a strategic and creative thinker who is curious about new technology and has a proven background in applying technical solutions to commercial problems. Your analytical, project management and systems thinking approach will be well refined, and you can understand and communicate highly technical information to non-technical audiences.
As the preferred candidate, you will have superior interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and possess the ability to define the long-term vision, develop meaningful relationships and influence stakeholders across all organisational levels including senior management. Fluency in Spanish is advantageous for this position, though not essential.At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.