The Principal Electrical Engineer applies electrical technical engineering expertise to projects and to the discipline engineering team, through the development and embedment of electrical engineering strategies, standards and frameworks that ensure electrical engineering processes and designs are optimised to enable safe, efficient and effective construction, commissioning and operation of electrical facilities and infrastructure, throughout their lifecycle.
Based in Adelaide and reporting to the Olympic Dam Discipline Engineering Manager, your duties will include but not limited to;-
- Supplies technical input as the Subject Matter Expert within project milestones and delivery dates to support projects’ electrical engineering requirements and to provide early advice to stakeholders about technical risks and impacts to project scope, schedule and budget..
- Supports the development of project discipline engineering strategy and defines acceptable project engineering and processes.
- Reviews engineering deliverables to drive optimisation and development of a solution that meets the project’s design intent.
- Actively identifies and drives implementation of improvement initiatives to increase capital efficiency, productivity and safety.
- As a senior member in the engineering team, leads, coaches and mentors team members to ensure delivery against performance targets.
- Identifies the appropriate engineering standards for a project scope to drive lean, fit for purpose and safe design.
- Establishes a relationship with engineering consultants which is based on a professional level of technical challenge to drive lean and fit for purpose design without jeopardizing project progress.
- Collaborates with Central Engineering to create new technical and discipline engineering standards where required for the delivery of the program scope of work.
- Liaise with operations and other technical groups to ensure business alignment of projects and assist with handover.
Working in a proactive business culture and with a supportive management structure, you'll have the chance to promote business excellence through your team and you'll make full use of your broad range of skills in the areas of continuous improvement, technical knowledge and communication.
As the successful candidate you will possess the following:
- Tertiary qualifications in Electrical Engineering
- Extensive experience in a project design environment within the consulting, utility, mining or heavy industry
- Significant technical proficiency across electrical engineering discipline (HV / LV power / controls) across lifecycle (study, design, installation, commissioning, operation)
- Demonstrated leadership of teams to achieve high performing outcomes
- Demonstrated commercial acumen as well as managing technical risk and governance for successful delivery of projects safely, on time and on budget
- Experience in an operating or maintenance role for electrical facilities would be advantageous
A performance and achievement orientated professional, your technical strengths will be complemented by excellent relationship management skills enabling you to influence and lead successful change in a challenging and complex environment.
This is an opportunity to have a real business impact and influence the way decisions are made.
LocationThis role is based in Adelaide, offering quality standard of living without the high costs of most other Australian capital cities. Adelaide offers a Mediterranean climate, beach-side lifestyle, cosmopolitan cafés and restaurants and world class wine regions just an hour away. All this plus an annual international festivals and events calendar makes Adelaide a vibrant, cultured, friendly environment to live, work and play in.
Travel to site is expected as business needs demand. At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms. Reference Number – 56961
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.