The Jindalee Operational Radar Network (JORN) has been a part of our nation's defence landscape for many decades and comprises three Over-The-Horizon-Radar (OTHR) systems to provide surveillance coverage of our northern border. BAE Systems has been awarded the contract to manage the upgrade of this 100 percent Australian solution that is strategically important to Australia's security. Joining this project you will experience an exciting and unique opportunity to grow with some of Australia's finest defence professionals in an iconic defence environment.
JORN is a network of three remote OTHR radars located in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia. The state-of-the-art defence system provides wide area surveillance at ranges of 1000 to 3000 km, and plays a vital role in supporting the Australian Defence Force's air and maritime operations, border protection, disaster relief and search and rescue operations.
Within a cohesive team environment as the Network Engineer, you will be responsible for providing engineering development and support of computer communications equipment for computing systems. This will include designing computer networking architectures, programming network equipment, network fault finding and the preparation of engineering documentation.
- Specify, design and implement aspects of the WAN and LAN networks that meet or exceed industry standard best practices
- Ensure that the network solutions and infrastructure meet the performance, reliability, security and business requirements of the customer
- Design and implement IP address & VLAN allocation plans
- Undertake investigation in the event of a network failure
- Develop and implement solutions for future network and security infrastructure and systems
- Assist in ensuring the day to day stability and operation of the network
- Work within change management processes to design and implement plans for projects and deployment activities to ensure effective transition to support
- Prepare and deliver applicable engineering documentation for proposed network changes
As an ideal applicant you will have:
- An Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) degree, or relevant demonstrated experience
- Demonstrated hands on experience in a designing and operating network solutions
- Demonstrated knowledge of common networking concepts such as OSPF, BGP, HSRP, VLANs, and STP
- The ability to work within a team environment
- Experience in a similar role preferably within the Defence sector
- An understanding of change management processes and concepts
- Whilst not essential, a Cisco certification at a minimum level of Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) is desirable
Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and hold a current NV1 clearance, with eligibility to obtain NV2.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) may be applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
At BAE Systems, we have a strong safety, health and environmental culture; employee safety and well-being is a top priority. We also maintain a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion and to training and development, offer competitive benefits and enjoy a family friendly work place with flexible work practices.
Expressions of interest should be addressed to Brenna Ryan, Recruitment Specialist.
Please ensure you attach a current resume and copy of your relevant qualification(s) to your application. A cover letter is preferred.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. BAE Systems Australia employees are encouraged to refer others for employment in line with the conditions of the Employee Referral Scheme.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html