Alcoa is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products. Our Company is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented employees have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate. This kind of operating excellence takes a special kind of team, made up of special people. One of them could be you.
About the opportunity
This opportunity is for a 12-month fixed term contract (or secondment) based at Alcoa’s Willowdale Bauxite Mine. Reporting to the Mine Environmental Scientist, the Mine Environmental Advisor is part of the WA Bauxite Environment Team and is accountable for the co-ordination and implementation of a range of environmental management and monitoring programs, including;
- Implementation of the EMS, environmental monitoring and data management
- Providing environmental advice
- Enforcing environmental standards
- Auditing and reporting
- Environmental consultation across a range of environmental aspects including mine rehabilitation, water supply and quality, noise, dust, pollution prevention, drainage, dieback, dangerous goods and waste management.
The Mine Environmental Advisor works both independently and as part of the operations team carrying out and contributing to the development of environmental programs that are capable of achieving the expectations of Alcoa corporate, regulatory bodies and the local community.
For the right candidate, flexible work arrangements would be considered for this role. Please let us know when you apply if this is something you are seeking.
As a nationally recognised employer of choice for gender equity and advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex inclusion, Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences.
Our values – act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people – are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role and to play a part in our ongoing success you will have:
- a relevant environmental degree or equivalent
- ideally, 2-5 years experience in a similar role in environmental monitoring or management
- well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- energetic team player
- industry experience is desirable
About where you will work
Willowdale Bauxite Mine is located in the Darling Range near Waroona, approximately 120 kilometres south of Perth. It mines and supplies bauxite ore to Alcoa’s Wagerup Alumina Refinery. Approximately 300 people work at the mine.
Wednesday 24th October 2018
About Alcoa in Australia?
- Alcoa employs approximately 4,300 people in Western Australia (WA) and Victoria; most of our employees live regionally and our head office is in the Perth suburb of Booragoon.
- Alcoa has been named an employer of choice for 16 consecutive years by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA), and Alcoa of Australia’s Chairman and Managing Director Michael Parker is a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador.
- Alcoa is an active and supportive partner in the community. The company sponsors ideas and opportunities important to local people such as addressing mental health, inspiring youth, promoting environmental education and highlighting health and safety.
- Alcoa has been contributing economically and socially in Western Australia and Victoria for more than 50 years. More than 75 per cent of Alcoa of Australia’s total annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.
- It is Alcoa's policy that all employees must advise their immediate supervisor or manager of their application prior to applying.
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- This position is available only to permanent Australian residents or applicants who hold the relevant Visa with authority to work in Australia. Please ensure this information is clearly stated on your application.
- Find out more about working for Alcoa of Australia at www.alcoa.com.au/opportunities