In today’s world, the barriers to building a business have never been lower. This has led to an explosion of born-in-the-cloud startups that is not only fueling, but fundamentally redefining the global IT economy.
At Microsoft, we are committed to championing startups at every stage of their journey. From early stage where the emphasis is building a minimal viable product and validating product-market fit, to later stages where securing funding and building a customer base is critical – we are uniquely positioned to help startups be successful.
We are looking for a serial tech entrepreneur who is deeply passionate about the startup ecosystem in Sydney. As the local Lead of our Startup initiative, you will work with the team to leverage our award-winning Microsoft Accelerator model (operating in 7 cities around the world) to establish a program designed to accelerate the success of Australian and Regional startups and support the local ecosystem.   You will work with startups to help them establish product-market fit, connect with investors and secure customers while running the local engagement that supports the broader ecosystem through events and trainings.
•      Build a world-class, angel/VC and customer network to fuel the growth of portfolio startups.
•      Oversee program that is tailored to the startup mind-set and their needs relative to their business stage and industry.
•      Act as an internal ambassador who helps startups collaborate with Microsoft and the wider tech industry.
•      Effectively manage a team of people passionate about startups.
•      Create an environment that is credible and speaks to the startup mind-set.
•      Establish relationships with local incubators, accelerators and tech influencers.
•      Have proven experience in building successful startup teams with successful exits (as well as failures)
•      Have previously worked with the Australian investment community (VCs and angels), as well as the international investment community.
•      Have proven experience in working successfully within a large global corporation
•      Have the passion and ability to engage with, recruit and build a vibrant regional community of entrepreneurs
•      Have the ability to manage a broad portfolio of business relationships with startups, mentors, investors and internal Microsoft stakeholders
In this role you will be a key figure in the local startup ecosystem and will be critical to fueling its growth. Ideally, you’ll wear multiple hats – the face of Microsoft to the Australian startup ecosystem, the uber-mentor to startups in the program, the face of the Australian startups eco-system within Microsoft, and finally the spokesperson for Microsoft in the startups ecosystem in your region. As part of this job you will grow the Microsoft brand, presence and value.
If you love a big challenge, thrive in a fast paced and complex environment, and have a passion for startups, we want to talk to you.