- Use Your Skills and Make an Impact on Data Innovation Outcomes!
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Join CSIRO's Data61 - Australia's Largest Data Innovation Group
A critical role of Mechanical Engineer for the mechanical system design of robotic, automated, and sensor systems is required within the Cyber Physical Systems program at CSIRO Data61. The successful applicant will fill a critical role within the multi-skilled and highly motivated Robotics and Autonomous Systems group. The role will be highly rewarding working with research scientists and engineers on world leading research in the areas of robotics and automation. The successful engineer will be mission critical in a number of projects within the Cyber Physical Systems program including projects for Boeing, DARPA, GeoSLAM, Woodside and Emesent Autonomy.
Your duties will include
- Providing mechanical engineering design for embedded systems including robotic, autonomous and sensor systems for complete mechanical, electronic and embedded system design of robotic, automated and sensor systems.
- Researching, analysing and recommending mechanical designs for the Robotics group’s projects. Provide specifications and costing for resources as required.
- Supporting 3D FDM and Poly Jet Printers including managing the scheduling of jobs, load sharing and managing the maintenance.
- Communicating effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
Salary: AU$97K - AU$105K (pro-rata) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- Demonstrated experience and high level skills in mechanical design using multiple lightweight materials, 3D printing, composites, and machining materials
- Demonstrated proficiency with 3D modelling in CAD packages such as Solidworks or equivalents
- Knowledge and demonstrated skills in integrating electrical, electronic and embedded systems into mechanical designs
- Demonstrated knowledge of the manufacturing and fabrication environment.
- Demonstrated practical experience and solid understanding of the machining process including 3 and 5 axis CNC machine tools, and other fabrication methods
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with fabricators and workshops to enable the timely and efficient manufacture within specifications for the mechanical designs.
A Bachelors/Masters in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Who we are
CSIRO’s Data61 business unit is the largest data innovation group in Australia, bringing together approximately 600 research and development staff working in digital technologies to create benefit for Australia. Data61 develops Australia's future leaders with its strong 300+ PhD student program in collaboration with our best universities across Australia.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
10:59 AEDT 6 January 2019