At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About Nickel West A member of the BHP Group, Nickel West produces nickel in-concentrate and has its operations located throughout Western Australia - comprising mines, concentrators, a smelter and a refinery. Nickel West is rich in technical know-how, innovative and focused on transforming our business. We are taking advantage of the significant changes we can see occurring around the world, by supplying nickel sulphate to the New Energy market.
- Competitive salary on offer plus 12% superannuation and a range of
- Family friendly roster 7 days on and 7 days off
- Nickel West is positioned well to energise our future
- Nickel West value and respect employees, offering an inclusive and
This role is based within a small team at Leinster where you will be working back to back with another Geotechnical Engineer. The key accountabilities of the role are:
- Conduct underground inspections, and assess ground condition and
competency of installed ground control.
- Design and implement instrumentation monitoring programs.
- Be responsible for all ground control QAQC.
- Maintain and ensure compliance to the Leinster Ground Control
Management Plan and relevant Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations.
- Review and interpret seismic monitoring data on a daily basis.
- Conduct ground support and reinforcement trials.
- Assess stability of stope designs and back analyse performance.
- Provide geotechnical assistance and guidance in the mine design
- Assist the Principal Geotechnical Engineer with the mine design and
- Tertiary qualifications in Geotechnical Engineering/Engineering
- Solid experience as a Geotechnical Engineer in an underground
- Strong understanding of risk based underground excavation stability
tools; ground support methods, monitoring instrumentation installation and
interpretation of data.
- Familiarity with 2D and/or 3D Geotechnical/Geomechanical modelling
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the
ability to significantly contribute to an experienced team.
As part of the recruitment process for this position you may be required to undergo a pre-employment medical and participate in a background screen including a criminal history check, identity check and qualifications check.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.