Alcoa is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products. Our Company is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented employees have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate. This kind of operating excellence takes a special kind of team, made up of special people. One of them could be you.
About the opportunity
The Geology Database Administrator role is a full-time opportunity based at Alcoa’s Huntly Bauxite Mine in Western Australia. As a key member of the Exploration Team, the incumbent is accountable for the accuracy and integrity of the day to day data transactions in and out of the acQuire database. With more than 500,000 samples processed annually and more than 50 years of historical data to maintain, this opportunity provides an exciting challenge for a geological data professional.
The purpose of this role is to maintain the integrity of the data within the database, which is the storage and query tool for all the bauxite quality data collected in Western Australia from past and future mining regions. Data integrity is achieved via the management and validation of all data transactions in and out of the system and the use of best practice validation and controls.
Through a working knowledge of the functional capability of the database software and strong geo-statistical skills, the incumbent will develop reporting and query tools to support exploration and resource development systems, processes and personnel. Collaboration with internal customers and external developers to facilitate business improvement opportunities will be a major component of the role.
For the right candidate, flexible work arrangements would be considered for this role. Please let us know when you apply if this is something you are seeking.
As a nationally recognised employer of choice for gender equity and advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex inclusion, Alcoa encourages applications from women, people of diverse backgrounds and those with different skills and life experiences.
Our values – act with integrity, operate with excellence, care for people – are at the foundation of everything we do. To be successful in this role and to play a part in our ongoing success you will have:
- Demonstrated understanding of concepts behind data management in relational databases
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (in regard to data analysis and reporting of large data sets)
- Ability to organise your time and workload effectively
- A relevant degree qualification such as Spatial Science, Information Systems, Geography, GIS or similar
- Ideally, 5 years’ experience in geological data management or as a Geologist with strong application of geo-statistics and modelling (Geospatial experience is highly desirable)
About where you will work
Huntly Bauxite Mine is located in the Darling Range near Dwellingup, approximately 100 kilometres south of Perth. It is the world’s second largest bauxite mine, supplying ore to Alcoa’s Pinjarra and Kwinana alumina refineries. Approximately 620 people work at the mine.
Sunday 21st October 2018
About Alcoa in Australia?
- Alcoa employs approximately 4,300 people in Western Australia (WA) and Victoria; most of our employees live regionally and our head office is in the Perth suburb of Booragoon.
- Alcoa has been named an employer of choice for 16 consecutive years by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA), and Alcoa of Australia’s Chairman and Managing Director Michael Parker is a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador.
- Alcoa is an active and supportive partner in the community. The company sponsors ideas and opportunities important to local people such as addressing mental health, inspiring youth, promoting environmental education and highlighting health and safety.
- Alcoa has been contributing economically and socially in Western Australia and Victoria for more than 50 years. More than 75 per cent of Alcoa of Australia’s total annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.
- It is Alcoa's policy that all employees must advise their immediate supervisor or manager of their application prior to applying.
- You will only be contacted if you are shortlisted for an interview, this process can take up to four weeks from the closing date.
- This position is available only to permanent Australian residents or applicants who hold the relevant Visa with authority to work in Australia. Please ensure this information is clearly stated on your application.
- Find out more about working for Alcoa of Australia at www.alcoa.com.au/opportunities