Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
06/09/2018 - 16/10/2018
Possibility of Extension:
$4380.70 - $4633.30 per fortnight
Emergency Management, Volunteerism & Community Resilience
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Emergency Managment Planning
Far Northern Region - Cairns
17 August 2018
Current QFES and IGEM employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Comprising the Fire and Rescue Service, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, QFES also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of Role
The role is responsible for leading and managing the Hazard and Risk Unit to build strong relationships and work with our key stakeholders to develop and strengthen resilience within the community.
The role will support the community and our stakeholders to identify hazard & risk, and develop strategies that mitigate the effects of disasters in the community.
The role will contribute to the development of QFES policies and state government policies that achieve mitigating the effects of disasters/potential disasters on the community and the state.
- It is expected that the incumbent may participate in an out-of-hours on-call roster during emergency operations. This may require work outside of normal hours (e.g. night shift), including weekends, working extended hours and may include deployment to other parts of the State.
- Managers may be required to perform any other duties and functions appropriate to their level as requested by the Director.
- Geospatial Information Systems experience and/or qualifications.
- Application of risk management in a disaster management and operational planning context.
- Knowledge of community engagement principles and concepts.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Manage and contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of scientifically based and local community relevant disaster risk management data, processes, systems and tools.
- Manage and contribute to the collaborative identification and assessment of broad area risk for use within and across local government, disaster district and State disaster risk assessments.
- Develop and maintain a planning capability to contribute toward the development of risk based planning and policy at all levels of Queensland’s Disaster Management Arrangements (QDMA).
- Manage and contribute to the development of risk communication and education strategies to effectively liaise between QFES regions, other emergency services, QDMA groups and the community.
- Develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure customer requirements are met and business objectives are achieved.
Lead and manage teams within a dynamic work environment, fostering teamwork and managing human resource activities including developing and managing staff performance and providing feedback.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following leadership and management behavioural competencies Queensland Public Service Workforce Capability Success Profile that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Workforce Capability Success Profile Category– Program Manager
Performance through Vision
- Demonstrates broad perspective
- Navigates ambiguity and politics
- Leads change
- Delivers by working across boundaries
- Champions innovative ideas and solutions
Performance through Results
- Manages group performance
- Manages internal and external relationships
- Builds group capability
- Inspires individual and team commitment in the pursuit of results
Performance through Accountability
- Models professional and ethical behaviour
- Displays courage in the provision of advice
- Applies business acumen
- Commits to personal development
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact Murray Hayton, Executive Manager on phone 0740328729 or email Murray.Hayton@qfes.qld.gov.au.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Expression of Interest Application Guide for information on how to apply for this role.
To apply for this role, please provide your resume or CV and a one A4 page summary telling us what you will bring to this role in the context of 'Your Key Accountabilities' contained within the role description.