(12 month Fixed Term Role)
The Environmental Approvals Manager is accountable for managing the environmental planning advice and approvals required for TransGrid’s programs of work. You will develop and deliver high quality and timely environmental assessment documentation and approvals, leading the development and implementation of environmental practices and procedures to deliver international best practice in the management of TransGrid’s environmental planning obligations.
The role requires business acumen, insight, and agility to respond to competitive pressures, regulatory and legislative changes, and developments in both market and industry. The position reports to Manager/Property and Environment, and manages, coaches, mentors, and leads a team of environmental planning specialists.
As an Environmental Approvals Manager you will:
- Ensure compliance with relevant financial requirements, developing, implementing and operating budgets for management activities
- Develop and implement environmental objectives, strategies, and plans to support sound environmental performance of TransGrid’s assets
- Lead the development of procedures and annual plans for the implementation of environmental planning initiatives
- Ensure all aspects of environmental planning assessments are documented and delivered
- Develop and implement environmental planning and approval strategies, processes, procedures, and templates which fulfil business and legal requirements
- Provide strategic leadership for the scoping and development of environmental assessments
- Provide timely and comprehensive specialist advice on legal environmental issues to management and other stakeholders in compliance with government legislation
- Undertake strategic engagement with external planning authorities and agencies
- Identify interim milestones for the approvals process and communicate to the Project Developer to ensure projects are delivered in a timely manner
- Set and oversee capital and operating budgets for environmental services
- Ensure compliance with IPART regulatory requirements and business needs
- Adopt risk management techniques which minimise, exposure to potential liabilities in regards to safety, environment, reliability of supply, and public risk
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Extensive expertise and experience in developing environmental planning strategies
- Good understanding and demonstrated experience in the use of information systems related to environmental management
- Demonstrated understanding of the environmental and social aspects and impacts of electricity supply projects
- Strong understanding and experience in the management and approval of environmental planning assessments in NSW in accordance with Part 5 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act
- Strong understanding and experience in the management and approval of environmental planning assessments in ACT and Victoria, and under the Telecommunications Act
- Experience in the management of contracted environmental specialist services
- High level of written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to liaise with customers, management, and technical staff of other organisations
- Significant experience effectively managing internal and external stakeholders
- Proven ability to manage a team of technical specialists and professional staff
- Proven ability to develop staff through providing guidance, mentoring, and coaching
- Tertiary qualification at degree level in an environmental management related discipline, or equivalent relevant experience
At the heart of the national electricity market, our high voltage transmission network connects customers across NSW and ACT to safe and reliable electricity. We’re a newly privatised company that’s taking a leading role in encouraging the connection of renewable generation. Would you like to help us connect Australia to a low carbon future?
We offer fulfilling careers for driven people who can help ensure that our business and the essential services we provide are continually improving. Our people come from a broad range of backgrounds that reflect the communities we serve, and bring different perspectives to different challenges.
Please note this is a 12 month fixed term role.
Join us and make it happen for your career, and for the millions of Australians who rely on our services every day. For further information please contact our HR Business Partnering team on (02) 9620 0222 (ext 900 222) or visit www.transgrid.com.au/careers to view the position description and apply online.
Our vacancy close dates may be subject to change, we will assess applications as they are received.
We do not accept agency introductions as TransGrid operates a direct sourcing model.
To view our Privacy Statement and how we handle personal and sensitive information click here .
TransGrid is committed to Health and Safety, the Environment, Equal Employment Opportunity, Diversity and Ethical Practices. All applicants are expected to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to these areas.
How to apply:
- Start your application by clicking the "Apply now" button.
- Login to an existing account or reset your password
- Preview Application Form