We have an exciting opportunity for a number of Mine Design Engineers to join our team, to support BHP’s South Australian mining operation. We are looking for ambitious mining engineers, who are ready for a challenge, and keen to make a significant contribution to one of Australia’s largest, and most complex mines at a pivotal point for Olympic Dam.
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Join Olympic Dam a safe, reliable, globally competitive business delivered by our people. At Olympic Dam we care that everyone goes home safe to do the things they love. We believe Leadership drives culture and culture drives performance. All incidents are preventable and everyone has a role to play.
Come and be a part of this success.
Our Operations It’s an exciting time to be at Olympic Dam, we are accessing 70% of the orebody that hasn’t been touched in the first 25 years of operation, in one of Australia’s largest mines within a complex minerals processing operation.
Please note this position is based at Olympic Dam, on a variety of rosters, with residential or FIFO options available.
About the role
The Engineer Mine Design provides design input to the Mining Operation to meet the Strategic and Tactical Mine Plan. This challenging role offers a diverse range of exposure across the planning cycle, and responsibility of 20-40Mt mining blocks within this world-class, complex orebody. You will be responsible for optimising the extraction of ore through strategic concept designs and the delivery of safe, executable plans.
You will be the single point contact for all design related matters for your “piece of the mine”.
Each day is different, and the Design Engineer plays in integral role in meeting the business’s long term goals.
In this position you will
Review stope shapes and optimise shapes for
maximum ore recovery
- Provide detailed development designs to meet
the 3 month schedule
- Provide detailed conceptual development
designs for allocated area.
- Review all drill and blast designs
- Provide detail Block and Stope Notes for the
safe extraction of allocated area
- Communicate and collaborate with other
Planning and Execution teams, in the formulation of all mine development
and stope planning activities.
- Plan/Design to extract the value from the
orebody by working with the other planning, and production teams.
- Monitor and maintain progress for all design
work, using the relevant team tools.
- Procedures - Assist with the development of
all procedures and work instructions as required
- Degree Qualified in Mining(or equivalent) Engineering
- Broad understanding of the mining and processing
- Proven ability to influence and mentor others in HSEC
principles and behaviours
- Ability to operate at multiple levels and across
- Ability to quickly and constructively work
within the Olympic Dam operations team
- Experience in a mining environment
- Underground mine experience, preferably with
experience in Sub-level Open Stoping methods
- Computer literacy with the latest mining
software packages and highly competent level of excel
- Ability to work productively and
- Time management and the ability to plan and
execute programs to meet corporate objectives
- Adhere to and demonstrate BHP Charter Values
- Demonstrate adherence of the Life Preserving Rules
- Encourage and promote continuous improvement by
constantly looking for opportunities to improve work practices and
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve
productivity, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Ensure all safe work systems, procedures and standards
are adhered to through frequent inspection of the workplace
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms
How to applyPlease apply online before Monday 21st January 2019Reference Number – 67099Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.We support flexible work at BHP. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team.