At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.Position
Reporting to the Superintendent Process Analysis & Improvement, the Engineer Control Systems role involves implementing Processing Production Improvements and work practises for control system hardware and software to achieve a reliable and a safe process control network (PCN) that safely deliver value.
Duties will also include but not limited to:
- Provide Control Systems engineering input to A&I and Root Cause Analysis investigations
- Benchmark, identify and analyse key bottleneck areas across the ore handling plant and train loadout facilities
- Initiate and lead improvement projects to resolve bottlenecks through optimisation of plant performance
- Provide control systems support to commissioning teams for projects like PLC upgrades and equipment tie-ins
- Initiate & execute optimisation activities for the control system, which includes PLC/SCADA coding, and graphics
- Investigate and identify the root cause of related downtime caused by the PCN and identify and execute solutions to prevent repeat events from occurring
- Act as a technical resource regarding control systems within fixed plant, providing ongoing technical support ensuring quality change management
- Provide technical expertise to project teams including carrying out Factory Acceptance testing where needed
- Optimise process control systems set-up for the production function
- Liaise with process engineers to assist with analysis and propose improvements to production systems to achieve and maintain predictable, stable and optimum levels of operating performance by investigating and executing control loop design and optimisation
- Coach graduate control systems engineer
Skills and Experience
- Tertiary qualification in Electrical Engineering / Control Systems Engineering or Trade qualifications in Electrical or Instrumentation discipline in equivalent industry and/or organisational experience
- Technical knowledge of control systems and instrumentation in industrial setting
- Strong relationship management skills
- Knowledge of Rockwell Software and Citect Development
- Functional Safety Engineering competency and experience in Safety Instrumented Systems
- Good technical communication and problem solving skills
Location You will be based at Mining Area C mine site on a 5:2 - 4:3 fly-in fly-out roster. Mining Area C is located 120 kms North East of Newman, Western Australia. The outstanding facilities at the brand new FIFO village include; a fully equipped gym, swimming pool, netted cricket pitch, tennis and basketball court; beach volleyball court, games room and TV lounge. All rooms at the village have access to 3G wireless internet and Skype, an ensuite bathroom, flat screen television, refrigerator and air-conditioning.
Remuneration and BenefitsAt BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.