The Yield is hiring. Come join us change the face of agricultural technology and help feed the world without wrecking the planet. We are looking for a Data Scientist who is passionate about solving real work problems and providing insight through advanced analytics.
The Yield is an Internet of Things (IoT) agriculture technology company. We take the guesswork out of growing. We help improve customers’ yields by providing on-farm sensors and a customised information service to make faster decisions. We work with leading farmers.
The Yield has a highly-focused team that brings together world-leading agriculturists, scientists and technologists. We partner with some of the global giants of technology services like Bosch, Intel and Microsoft. We have a strong commitment to open innovation and collaboration both internally and externally.
Our founder and Managing Director has spent her life time promoting inclusion and diversity at work. Our business is committed to creating the right culture, systems and flexibility for everyone regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation to thrive and reach their full potential. We were awarded the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) inaugural #TechDiversity award in 2016 in recognition of our achievements. Check out our video.
A Data Scientist at The Yield works with varied data sets, ranging from multiyear climate data, observation data collected by on farm sensors and agricultural models. The Data scientist will be responsible for working within a multi-disciplinary team to create previously unknown insights, model and codify inherent knowledge and provide local on farm predictions using cutting edge methods and techniques for The Yield’s Clients.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- A track record (min 2 years’ experience) of development of models using Machine learning or AI to achieve a business and commercial outcome preferably in areas such as environmental, climatic, geospatial, marine or agriculture modelling;
- Have experience in manipulating, handling and extracting data form large structured and unstructured data sets including one or more of the following: time series data, predictive atmospheric models, weather or climate data, satellite imagery, and geospatial data;
- Strong problem-solving skills with an understanding of the constraints on developing commercial solutions;
- Experience with Python (including NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Keras, etc.) or the proven experience of multiple other languages allowing you to compress complex data / relationships into commercial / production grade models;
- Experience building, improving and understanding supervised and unsupervised models: neural networks, LSTM networks, random forests, etc.
- Solid working knowledge of querying and manipulating datasets with exposure to at least one industrial strength database;
- Empathy for end-users and a creative ability to apply data and data relationships across multiple sources and domains to help solve real business problems for growers and food producers;
- Strong organizational, communication and collaboration skills to build and strengthen working relationships.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment of product discovery and development.
To be successful in this role you are likely to have:
- An advanced degree with a strong quantitative focus or equivalent experience in areas such as Statistics, Mathematics, economics, science, computer science, environmental science or agriculture science; or
- Equivalent skills through experience and on the job learning.
More about you:
You are creative self-starter and a natural collaborator. You thrive on solving problems with digital technology for growers and don’t shy away from anything too complex. Some people might call you a data wiz and out of the box thinker. You will have real-world experience developing algorithms for use in a production environment. You thrive in an environment of rapid change and innovation. You aren’t afraid to take responsibility for your work, to stretch yourself and to be challenged. We also hope you love all things food and can relate to producers across the value chain.
More about us:
We are looking for talented women and men who share our passion and hire on both skills and values. We are a truly diverse company and are actively striving to be an industry leader in building inclusive technology teams. We offer a supportive and flexible working environment, including giving our staff the tools needed to work remotely.
Check out our LinkedIn company page for details.