Do you want to make an impact and drive change? Are you interested in adding value to complex businesses? We are looking for a highly motivated individual to lead the internal Controls and Compliance efforts for our Australian subsidiary. This is a challenging role reporting to the Australian CFO and independently partnering with the Australian Leadership Team (AUS LT), including the Australian Area Vice President. As such, the role is the Trusted Advisor to the Leadership team and the immediate management layer/Director level roles.
Reporting to the Microsoft Australian CFO, the Australian Controls & Compliance Lead is responsible for providing leadership to the subsidiary for internal controls and compliance activities. This includes developing and coordinating programs and activities to ensure the internal controls and related processes are designed and working adequately and in line with Corporate Management requirements. In addition, the role will assume responsibility for overseeing Governance beyond internal controls into Statutory Compliance, in line with Australian Regulations.
The Australian C&C Lead will chair the Area Compliance Committee and independently act as the Compliance counsellor to the AUS LT, supporting them in driving a robust Compliance culture where compliance is embedded in the subsidiary priorities and where a safe environment is sustained for employees to escalate red-flags as and when they see them.
As the Area Controls & Compliance Lead for Australia, more specifically within your responsibilities you will:
- Define requirements and own the architecture, design, implementation and monitoring of preventative and detective internal controls and related processes in field operations such as Sales, Procurement, Services and general Finance functions;
- Own and enhance the strategy and end-to-end process and control framework in the subsidiary, and drive structural improvements in effectiveness of the processes and the quality of controls, expanding near/mid-term into long term view;
- Drive Governance of the Subsidiary’s Compliance Committee rhythms and land business accountability in line with Global expectations;
- Direct interface with broader Senior Leadership team locally and in corporate
- Manage outsourced vendor (E&Y) on behalf of Australian Finance to ensure proper synergies
- Managing contingent staff with clear expectation setting, planning and follow up for tasks assigned within C&C and/or Statutory
- Lead the Australian Controls & Compliance Champ community across multiple divisions and functions to drive Control and Compliance accountability in each division and execute on subsidiary risk mitigation plans
- Take ownership of the subsidiary’s C&C Strategy including “Tone at the Top and Middle”, and take lead to ensure Compliance is embedded in the subsidiaries’ priorities and support red flags and escalations;
- Maintain, develop an effective communication plan to secure proper education of the entire Control and Compliance framework within the Subsidiary. This includes periodic face-to-face C&C training for employees and partners.
- Lead in the prioritization of risk areas such as: Anti-Corruption, Permanent Establishment, Anti-Trust, Sales Deal Execution, Devices and Services, Material financial reporting errors and Privacy and Security
- Define requirements and own the architecture, design, implementation and monitoring of preventative and detective internal controls and related processes in field operations such as Sales, Procurement, Services and general Finance functions
- Continuously monitor emerging internal control risks and update existing controls and processes to respond to these risks; and oversee Governance and adherence to external regulatory environment
- Coordinate audits performed by independent internal auditors including SOX audits; partner and support the subsidiaries in the implementation of post audit recommendations;
- Assist the Regional Compliance Attorney in preliminary investigations;
- Ensure integrity of the compliance with corporate and local policies and procedures; Take lead in ensuring the local ownership and anchoring of corporate policy updates as well as the supplementary local guidance based on local regulations;
- Develop strong partnership with different functions and organizations within the subsidiary, at Microsoft International and Corporate level, including but not limited to Operation centres; Corporate groups like GSMO/GSC Finance (incl Corporate C&C), Corporate Accounting, Legal and Corporate Affairs, HR, Internal Audit, Financial Integrity Unit, and Corporate Security.
- Detect and report to appropriate Microsoft management any violation or deviation from standards and practices including the code of conduct, laws and other misconduct;
In addition, it will be part of the role to participate in the Global V-team to incorporate any local learnings into WW policies & processes. Build and grow D7/A14 Compliance Community - Lead the Australian Controls & Compliance Champ community across multiple divisions and functions to drive Control and Compliance accountability in each division and execute on subsidiary risk mitigation plans
Experience and skills
- Strong ethics, integrity and accountability with ability to maintain independence, autonomy and confidentiality;
- Strong business partnering skills at executive level and decision making ability in a collaborative style;
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills, cross-group collaboration and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to influence, negotiate, resolve conflicts, establish credibility, trust and partnership at all levels of the organization, and in particular from the top;
- Demonstrated maturity to work effectively with multi-cultural and country specific circumstances and with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Degree or equivalent in Finance or related field;
- 15+ years’ experience with MNCs in External or Internal Audit and Finance with strong demonstration of leadership;
- Proven People Management skills;
- Diverse professional experience across functions, industries, geographies etc;
- Excellent functional Finance skills in Statutory, Accounting, Controllership, Tax, Compliance and Audit;
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation and monitoring of internal controls and compliance programs;
- Ability to go deep in details with a tenacious spirit and see the Global vision at the same time, with ability to embrace ambiguity
- Effectively communicate business strategy and goals
- Drive courage & conviction - Take a position, bring independent point of view
- Bring executive maturity and presence and manage across multiple senior business teams in both subsidiary and corporate.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.