- Darwin based role (Monday – Friday).
- Long term, large scale building and marine engineering project.
- Opportunity to work for a Tier 1 Construction Contractor.
About Laing O’Rourke
Laing O’Rourke is a $6 billion international operation with 50 years of involvement in Australian construction and infrastructure including more than a decade under the Laing O’Rourke banner. The business is currently delivering some of Australia’s most exciting projects across the transport, building construction, defence, airports, mining, civil and social infrastructure sectors. Laing O’Rourke is committed to becoming the recognised leader for innovation and excellence in the construction industry and has twice been named as one of Australia’s Top 10 most innovative businesses by BRW Magazine.
About the Role
We are currently looking for an experienced Commercial Manager to work on our building and marine engineering project based in Darwin, Northern Territory. Reporting to the Project Director, you will be an integral part of the team ensuring that commercial integrity of the project is maintained through your strong leadership, dedication to process and collaborative approach.
- Ensure the project team complies with the statutory, client and contractor health, safety and environmental standards and obligations.
- With the Project Director, develop and agree the project procurement strategy as well as the procurement plan to support the project schedule.
- Select & prepare as necessary the standard forms of supply chain agreements for use on the project.
- Actively manage the procurement process in accordance with the Defence MC form of Contract
- With the Project Director develop, agree & implement strategies for managing contractual issues associated with subcontractors/suppliers.
- Manage contract disputes and risk management / mitigation.
- Develop and mentor the commercial team to ensure that the commercial requirements of the project are successfully delivered.
- Liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure accurate and timely weekly and monthly reporting and forecasting of project costs.
You will have:
- A tertiary qualified in Quantity Surveying, Commercial Law or Engineering.
- Membership to RICS / AIQS – highly desirable.
- Extensive experience as a Commercial Manager on major MC type projects in Australia for Tier 1 construction companies.
- Experience working on defence, Managing Contractor projects is highly desirable.
- An ability to demonstrate a high level of technical and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, along with an ability to liaise confidently with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A results driven and collaborative leadership style, allowing you to lead a team effectively with regards to daily, strategic and long term goals.
- The ability to work autonomously in your role.
Relocation assistance to Darwin, NT will be provided to the suitable candidate for the role. This is an excellent opportunity that will enhance your expertise and allow you to be part of a company renowned for its progressive culture and people development.
About our Culture
At Laing O’Rourke we work hard to create an environment that brings out the very best in our people.
We believe in building careers – not just creating jobs and in putting our people at the heart of everything we do.
We want to equip all Laing O’Rourke people with the skills they need to be part of a dynamic Engineering Enterprise and ensure they feel supported in their roles and rewarded for their efforts.
We have our own specialised learning and development programme, providing access to industry-leading learning tools to help every employee acquire the core competencies and skills needed to compete in this fast-changing environment.
Laing O'Rourke is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Candidates must have the right to work in Australia.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered at this time.