Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Salary:$92,117.00 - $99,602.00 per annum
Rural Fire Service
RFS - STH EAST
RFS - WEST MORETON
Midnight 22 August 2018
Current QFES and IGEM employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Comprising of the Fire and Rescue Service, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, QFES also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the Role
The Bushfire Safety Officer (BSO), is responsible for the development and maintenance of partnerships that assist QFES and its stakeholders in mitigation and education to the community so overall support of the Volunteer Community Education (VCE) network .The BSO will also work with other departmental divisions to assist in the delivery of relevant community safety material to ensure a coordinated department-wide approach. The BSO reports to the Regional Manager within the region, they support and develop partnerships within QFES.
An assessment process exists for this role. Applicants may be required to undertake a variety of assessments to assess their suitability for the role.
- TAE40110 - Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent qualification.
- C Class (car) Driver’s licence (Non-restricted).
- Internal applicants must provide evidence that they are eligible for appointment in accordance with the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Employee Award –State 2016.
- External applicants must have suitable contemporary fire and organisational management experience within a fire and emergency service or fire management agency to the satisfaction of the Commissioner Queensland Fire and Emergency Services.
Highly Desirable Requirements
- Minimum qualification in QFES Rural Volunteer Learning and Development Framework (VLDF) firefighter Minimum Skills (FMS) and VLDF Crew Leader or equivalent qualifications in Certificate II Public Safety Firefighting Operations 20701 and Certificate III Public Safety Firefighting Operations 30701’.
- Knowledge or experience in holistic rural fire management where fire is used in rural land management as an essential tool in shaping and maintaining large areas of the landscape to minimise negative impacts on the community and ecosystems.
- Knowledge or experience in resource management/asset appropriate to rural fire brigades for the prevention, preparedness, response and recovery phases in community support.
- Knowledge or experience working within a rural fire service / bushfire prevention and or control organisation particularly in a volunteer environment.
- Thorough knowledge of the concepts, strategies and issues associated with managing rural fire services, particularly in a volunteer environment and have a sound knowledge of and ability to provide operational leadership at emergency situations utilising the AIIMS/IMS methodology.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in providing frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Exhibit appropriate negotiation, consultation and interpersonal skills thereby maintaining effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders to provide advice, guidance and input for the development and implementation of bushfire mitigation strategies.
- Develop productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders to identify community needs, promote PREPARE ACT SURVIVE and other QFES education packages to assist in the promotion of community awareness and risk reduction strategies.
- Provide support to the Regional Manager RFS in management of the Regional Interdepartmental Committees, and assist Area Director RFS in the operation of Fire Management Groups and local communities with bushfire mitigation strategies and planning.
- Manage the VCE network throughout the Area / Region through the recruitment and provision of initial and ongoing training and development opportunities, thereby advancing the diversity agenda, improving workforce morale and improving the effectiveness of operational teams.
- Ability to set priorities, achieve deadlines, manage multiple projects and undertaking operational duties both as an individual and as a member of a team to assist in the management of the Area / Region through the best utilisation of the human, financial and capital resources.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following leadership and management behavioural competencies Queensland Public Service Workforce Capability Success Profile that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Workforce Capability Success Profile Category– Team Leader
Performance through Vision
- Understands how their team’s work aligns to organisational objectives
- Manages ambiguity
- Implements change
- Understands customers’ perspectives and works across boundaries
- Drives continuous improvement
Performance through Results
- Manages team performance
- Manages internal and external relationships
- Build team capability
- Inspires individual and team commitment in the pursuit of results
Performance through Accountability
- Models professional and ethical behaviour
- Displays rigour in advice
- Applies business management skills
- Commits to personal development
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values:
Want more information?
Please contact Alan Gillespie, Regional Manager on phone 0429 989 104 or email email@example.com.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
You can also refer to the PS Senior Officers - Employment Conditions for additional information.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide for information on how to apply for this role.
Please refer to the QFES Operational Officer Application Guide for information on how to apply for this role.
Please refer to the QFES Senior Officer (Operational) Application Guide for information on how to apply for this role.